Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Neighborhood "Boo"

When a person is a child, our imaginations seems to be a very strong part of our lives. We create entire stories in our minds about something or someone we don't understand.

When I was about 5-6 years old (like Scout in the story), I was living in Encarnación at the time, and there was also a very similar neighborhood "Boo", except I don't recall what we named him. All of us children were scared of a tall, old man who lived in the woods (yes, during that time, there WERE woods in Encarnación!) and every once in a while he used to pass by our street with a sack on his back. We all said that he ate animals and children and thus created this fantasy that he would steal us, which is something that probably began by our parents for us to stay away from strangers! Anyway, every time this old man walked by our street, all the children would scream and run away as fast as possible! We were terrified of him! Imagine doing this...

As I look back, he was probably a harmless, innocent old man who felt hurt every time we did this, but as children we didn't perceive this, we didn't take his feelings into consideration. Years later, when I was about 9 and after coming back from NY on vacation, my grandmother told me that he had died all alone in his little cabin. For some reason I felt very sad when she told me this, maybe because it signified an ending, or maybe because I realized what we, as children, had done to that poor, old man.

I believe that everybody has had a similar story to this in their lives and I want to hear them from you. It doesn't need to be very long, but I do want each one of you to share your experience!

Oh, by the way, this link is for the vocab and questions of the story!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhkvzhjn_4hg2cjwd2

See you all on Thursday with the vocab, questions, and of course, I want to read your experience as soon as possible!

7 comments:

  1. I think that everybody has similar histories in our childhood because always the parents or perhaps of them tell to the children that such or which person can carry them or to eat if they are bad, and our imagination begins to create a world fantastic. I had a similar history to the teacher or more or less, when I lived in (Saint Juan Nepomuceno) I was about 4 to 5 and in the neighborhood lived a Not very old but drunk man and hairy and always he was find sleeping in the country road to his house, my parents said to me that if I was disobedient or if no want to go to the school at night can come ( KILINO...IN THE neighborhood they say that was a WEREWOLF ), so, I do the things as my parents said to me, then began to imagine a hairy man seemed to a dog that it can appear me at night if I am a bad boy.
    But when I grew up I realized that the man was a person like the another people in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I will try to do...When I lived in Villarrica, maaaany years ago, I lived cnear to the cemetery, and of course that already is a scare place. All the children were we lived near, been scared to death, because suppsosily the death people wake up at night, and walked around the neighborhood. then Early at night, we got inside our house. Sometime our imaginations and suggestions had we heard a screem as a wolf howl. Nothinhg happened we us. Just when we are grew we had realize that this was a form or a way that our parents use to mantained quietly.... But, wherever the cememtery cause an hard impression...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! That's a nice story, Theyoungest (not ncessary most)! You really lived near a cemetery? That must have been really scary! I can just imagine being a little girl, scared of the living dead! But, that's part of the fun of being a child, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever talk to Kilino, Arnaldo? Is he still there, do you know? It's sad how small children probably laughed and ran away from people who were probably very nice, just "lost" in some way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes teacher,he is alive and live there until now,after some year i went to S.J. nepomuceno,he is always look like scarey but he is a good guy,ah and he is drunk until now. jajajaja

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Story
    by Perla Sanchez

    When I was a child, my mother send me to the store just around the corner from my house, the

    house was larger but dark, the products were all disorderly and an old women with hair unruly attended me, she had a huge mole on her face and always had a cigar in her mouth and talking very badly, barely understood what she said and she was very boring, I had terror...

    I hated to go there, for me, she was a witch and just bought stuff,I ran out.
    Behind her house lived another old woman selling buttons and had a mad son who always sat at the entrance and had to pass through to buy things, then expecting to look elsewhere and came running and I fell back to the woman, watching her son, if there was going towards my direction had time to run, because I thought he wanted to attack me...
    When one is a child has as much imagination and believe in everything that was the people said, today I remember that and I laugh jajaja

    ReplyDelete
  7. A True Story
    by Norma Sanchez
    My Parents and I lived in Hernandarias in 1982 I was 3 months old .I had a pacifier that I love.
    Una night a pacifier with the image of the Virgin Caacupé is lost
    My mather was looking much and not found .
    I cry a lot, I had a fever, they bought me a new one but if I had not I just wanted mine.
    After 3 days my pacifier appeared next to me in the crib, wrapped with honey .
    Everyone is afraid, at that time they thought it was Jasy Jatere who had led and like me weep sure took my penalty
    and returned my pacifier ,but that is a mystery until today.
    I count this story because that is the only one that happened .In my childhood I never had afraid of anyone, only Perla was afraid of everything.

    The End

    ReplyDelete